Planning a summer road trip is a blast, but there are practical parts to plotting out the trip that you can’t skip. When most people plan a summer road trip, they’re concerned about how long they’ll be on the road, where to stop, and the ultimate final destination for their vacation.
However, few account for delays due to car trouble, weather problems, and more. If you’re setting off on a long drive, make sure you’re prepared for both an emergency and a good time.
Suggested Emergency Preparation Tasks
- Make a list of numbers – You may think you’ll rely on your smartphone to find anything you need on the Internet. But what happens if your vehicle breaks down in an area without service? You should create a list of essential numbers, including roadside assistance and any hotels or accommodations you have booked, just in case. Keep these with you in the glove compartment in case of an emergency.
- Get Auto Protection – When you’re driving long distances, you increase the likelihood of an issue popping up. If you’re concerned about things like this, consider investing in a warranty before heading off. With Endurance, you will have access to the roadside assistance feature when you purchase a warranty. With this feature, you can contact Endurance for immediate help if something happens when you’re out on the road.
- Bring extra supplies – You may have the perfect route planned out, but a car problem could delay you for a night. If you’re camping, make sure to bring extra provisions. You should pack extra food and clothes too, even if you’re staying in a hotel. There may not be laundry facilities on the road, so you’ll need extra clothes to get through the trip.
- Budget extra cash – If you have car trouble, you may be forced to make an unplanned stop. Make sure you have a little wiggle room in your budget. That way, you’ll be able to find safe accommodations and afford the repairs on your vehicle.
- Bring fluids and cleaning supplies – Running out of oil or coolant could spell disaster on the road, so make sure to stock extra if it’s a long time between stores. These fluids can also evaporate in hot weather, so it’s especially important to do if you’re traveling in hot areas. Windows can get dirty and dusty, so bringing extra cleaning supplies like glass cleaner and paper towels can keep them clear. It will also help make your washer fluid last longer.
- Research – The best way to prepare for a potential situation is to research along your planned route for safe zones. A safe zone could be a gas station or the closest repair shop with the best reviews. It’s best to plan ahead and research where you might receive help in dire need.
What to do if you Break Down Out of State
Breaking down out of town can be scary. You don’t have a trusted mechanic shop, and you may be far from help.
Here are a few tips to remember if this happens to you:
- Safety first – It’s obvious, but of course, the first thing you want to do is steer your car out of traffic. Even if you’re on a quiet road, you should make sure to do this, so you don’t cause further issues or a traffic backup.
- Contact the proper authorities – If cell service is an issue, try calling the local authorities first. They should be able to send a tow truck or some form of assistance, and that way, there will be a report of your location.
- Contact roadside assistance – If you’re in a heavily trafficked area, call roadside assistance if you have a plan associated with a warranty or club membership. They can help dispatch a local technician to help you out and get you on your way.
If you’re prepared with snacks and supplies, a breakdown will be far less stressful.
A trip with your family, partner, or friends will never go perfectly as planned. That’s why planning for the unexpected brings you confidence when hitting the road this Summer.
Get Protection with Endurance Warranty
We can all agree road trips are a great way to get out of the house during the summertime. Don’t let a sudden breakdown that can cost over $1,000 ruin your summer plans.
Endurance provides the most comprehensive protection package on the market that can get you back on the road. Plus, customers receive a 1-FREE year of the Endurance Elite Membership, which provides 24/7 Roadside Assistance, $250 in digital shopping dollars, key fob replacement, and more.
If you don’t have auto protection from Endurance, now is the time to prepare for the unexpected. You can request a no-obligation quote or call 1-866-918-1438 to hear about minimal down payments and deferred payment options.