Your tires are an important part of your overall vehicle condition, so it makes sense that neglecting them can lead to other problems for you on the road.
While you might think low tire pressure isn’t the worst problem you can have, so what’s the harm? The truth is, ensuring your tires stay filed can help you avoid expensive repairs, stress, and negative driving experiences.
Symptoms of low tire pressure
When tires get low, it’s not always immediately apparent, even to the savviest owner. Most newer vehicles have a dashboard light that comes on when tires are low. But if your vehicle doesn’t have this feature, there are a few signs you can look out for that will tell you it’s time to fill them up.
- Decreased fuel mileage: If you’re noticing you need to get gas more often than usual and haven’t added extra miles to your typical routes, check your tire pressure. When tires are low they don’t ride as efficiently, causing the vehicle to be less efficient overall.
- Ride quality: If you’re noticing vibrations and wobbles when driving, your tires may need a fill-up. You may also notice a softer ride, or a ‘spongy’ feeling when driving. Bumps may be rougher and in general, the ride isn’t as smooth.
- A pull in the steering: If one front tire is low, the car will veer in that direction on occasion. This causes many to think they have a suspension problem when it’s really a tire issue.
What low tire pressure can do
Low tire pressure can lead to other more expensive vehicle issues too if neglected for long periods of time.
- Wearing away the inner membrane: Low tire pressure causes damage to the inside of your tires. It may not be visible on the outside, but it causes issues like bubbles in the sidewall and other weak points. This may cause damage that can’t be repaired.
- Overheating: The friction of low tires on the road can cause them to wear out, and in some cases overheat. This can lead to accidents and tread separation. Squealing tires are a sign of this issue.
- Blowouts: A combination of overheating and wearing down of low tires can cause a blowout, which no one wants to experience on the road. Blowouts lead to stress and in the worst-case scenarios, accidents, and further damages.
How to combat low tire pressure
There are many ways to combat low tire pressure, and avoid the problems that come with it.
- Keep your tires filled: Endurance Elite members can stop by service stations to get topped off if you’re unsure how to fill your own tires. Professionals can evaluate your tires if you’re unsure if they need more air.
- Replace air with nitrogen: The air inside tires gets denser in the winter and expands in the summer. This can create its own problems, and in order to avoid it you can take your vehicle to a nitrogen fill station. Nitrogen is more stable and will not fluctuate as much, so it can benefit your tires in extreme cold or heat.
Endurance Elite and Tire Repairs
Endurance Elite does provide two tire replacements a year with coverage up to $250. However this policy does not cover normal wear and tear, so keeping an eye on the air pressure of your tires is your responsibility.
Tire repairs or replacements are also covered. Decisions on whether tires need to be replaced or repaired are made based on the Tire Industry Association Guidelines. For example, if a tire is punctured in the center tread area, it can be repaired. If a puncture is located in the sidewall or shoulder, it cannot be repaired. If there are areas of overlapping damage, it cannot be repaired. The size of the puncture may rule out repair too. There are many guidelines, but essentially if a tire can be repaired the cost for repair is what will be reimbursed. However, if the failure was due to something that can be repaired, the tire won’t be replaced if it can be repaired.
We have a plan
We’re working hard to keep America on the road and offer peace of mind amidst COVID-19. If you’re a current customer and facing financial hardship, we have relief options available. Simply contact us to learn how we’re keeping your vehicle protection plan active at this uncertain time.
If you don’t have auto protection from Endurance, now is the time to prepare for the unexpected. All new customers can save $300 off any policy and receive $500 in reward vouchers that can be used on groceries, cleaning supplies, and more. We have limited time relief plans available, and you can request a no-obligation quote or call 1-866-918-1438 to hear about minimal down payments and deferred payment options. When it comes to car maintenance, there’s a lot to think about and we’re here to help.