Your tires are an essential part of your vehicle, but many people neglect them until it’s time for them to be repaired or replaced. To truly maximize your tires’ value and get a return on your investment, you should be taking care of them by rotating them regularly.
With any car maintenance, the goal is to avoid sudden breakdowns and keep your car on the road longer. We’ve asked our team of Auto Experts to regularly share information on why you should rotate your tires.
Do You Really Need to Rotate Your Tires?
One of our Auto Experts suggests rotating your tires every 5,000 to 8,000 miles driven on average. Doing so consistently an integral part of the overall maintenance of your car. When looking at the benefits that come with this, we’ve outlined some of the main ones:
- Allows for even wear and tear –The weight distribution to the front and rear axles is different, so by rotating the tires, you’re allowing them to wear more evenly. Otherwise, the tires in the heavier wear section will need to be replaced much sooner than the other tires.
- Provides an opportunity to inspect tires – Even if your tires seem great, rotating them is a chance to take a look and ensure there’s no damage, holes, or other issues that might cause problems later on. Rotating takes care of the wear and tear and provides this additional time to inspect the tires.
- Ensures greater control – Worn tires can be slippery, especially on wet roads or during the winter. Driving with worn tires can cause you to lose control of your vehicle, making you vulnerable to accidents and potential damage to your car or health.
- Makes for a smoother ride – If your tires are worn and not rotated regularly, they can develop tread cupping. Tread Cupping is an uneven wear pattern that causes noise and vibration as you drive, making for an uncomfortable and loud ride.
- Abiding by the warranty – Many extended warranties require that you rotate your tires regularly to avoid any hiccups down the road. Failing to do so can result in repairs or replacements not being covered due to negligence. If you’re an Endurance customer, you can find all the maintenance information for your car in the Endurance Protect App.
Going back to the question above – yes, rotating your tires is essential to keeping you on the road longer. Plus, if you’re protected under an extended warranty, you can avoid any issues when you take your car to the shop to get a breakdown repaired.
How to Rotate Your Tires Correctly
Now that you know the importance to rotating your tires, the next step is knowing how to do it yourself. If you’ve never owned a vehicle or haven’t been as on top of this chore as you’d like, it can be a little daunting.
Before going all in, here are some things to do first:
- Track your mileage – Tracking your mileage will help you know when you need to rotate, so begin taking notes now. The Endurance Protect App stores all of the required maintenance for your car, so keeping tabs on the mileage now can help in the future.
- Access Your Ability – The last thing you want to do is cause additional damage to your car. We recommend assessing your ability before doing it at home. Going to a mechanic costs a little more, but this can avoid any damage being done in the process.
- Make an appointment – If you’re not comfortable doing the work yourself, make an appointment with your trusted mechanic or tire shop to do it for you. Many tire shops will even mail or email reminders when it’s time to rotate them again, much like they do with oil changes.
- Prepare your space – If you plan to do the inspection and rotation on your own, prepare your area. You will need a flat surface and a tire jack, along with the other appropriate tools. If you’ve never done this before, you may want to consult a professional mechanic for assistance.
Protect Your Car with Endurance
The best thing any driver can do is conduct regular maintenance to take care of their car. Even with the best car maintenance, repairs are going to happen at some point down the line.
Drive confidently knowing you have the most comprehensive auto protection package on the market. EnduranceAdvantage™ not only saves you thousands on auto repairs but also includes extensive maintenance coverage. With EnduranceAdvantage, you’ll keep money in your pocket and drive worry-free.
Plus, gain access to all of the Endurance warranty benefits like 24/7 roadside assistance, trip interruption coverage, flexible payments, and 1-year access to the Endurance Elite Membership. Learn more about the ways an extended warranty can provide peace of mind and on the road longer.