Driving with a set of worn brake pads will later result in expensive breakdowns and additional damage to other car components. Brake pads play an essential role in keeping you safe and required to be able to use your car with no interruptions. Drivers without the proper extended auto warranty protection can end up paying thousands in repair costs if they continue to drive with worn brake pads.
To ensure you’re not hitting the road with damaged brakes, our auto experts’ team highlighted ways to spot worn brake pads early and ways to protect yourself from expensive repairs.
How Can You Tell if your Brake Pads are Worn?
Before heading to your local mechanic for a potential brake pad replacement, we suggest running a quick test to see if your car is experiencing some of these issues when using your brakes.
- Slow response – Take stock of your driving and try to be aware of how long it takes you to stop, how often you have near misses or come close to whizzing past stop signs, and how your car seems to be responding to pressing the brakes slowly. If your brake system isn’t responding normally, the brake pads may be worn down or may have other issues. Drivers who consistently press on their brakes hard when driving might expedite damage to their brake pads.
- Soft pedals – Apply pressure to the brake pedal to see how much tension you experience. Worn in brake pads tend to act more like a “sponge” that lacks any resistance. If that’s the case, then this might require a replacement.
- Vibrations – Another way to test your brake system is by feeling for a sense of vibrations when pressing down on the brake. The vibrations indicate worn in brake pads and could also be a sign the brake rotors are damaged.
- Loud noise – Brake pads are providing a barrier to the friction of the mechanical brake components, so if you hear squeaking or grinding sounds when braking, that’s a sign that your pads may be wearing down or have accumulated dust, which causes the noise. It’s a pretty safe bet something’s wrong, and you should have your car checked out right away.
If you notice any of these signs, or if you have a newer model that actually indicates brake problems on the dash, you should get it checked out as soon as possible. To avoid causing additional damage to your vehicle, Endurance’s roadside assistance program can tow you to the nearest mechanic at no cost to you!
How Much Should Brake Pad Replacements Cost?
On average, brake pads need to be replaced every 30,000 miles unless stated otherwise on your owner’s manual. The cost varies depending on the age and make of your car, but typically requires a few hundred to be replaced.
If you’ve noticed any of the signs of worn brake pads, make sure to do the following.
- Get it checked immediately. Worn brake pads can eventually damage the rotors, causing them to need replacing. This is a more expensive replacement than just the brake pads alone. Take your car into a mechanic to be checked out as soon as possible.
- Don’t drive the vehicle. If you have any other alternative or roadside assistance, use that as a means of transportation. Worn brake pads can be cited as a reason for an accident if one occurs, leaving you as the driver at fault for any incidents. This can be a major strain on your pocketbook and cause your insurance rates to rise.
- Avoid Hard Braking. If you absolutely must drive the vehicle for a time before repair, be careful and try to account for the slower response time. Slamming repeatedly on the brakes causes your tires to get worn down, along with a host of other potential mechanical problems.
To reduce the financial burden of a sudden breakdown, an extended car warranty can help save you thousands on expensive repair bills. Endurance helps cover both parts and labor and offers additional perks through the Elite Membership.
Get Protection From Auto Repair Costs
Driving with worn brake pads is the last thing any driver should do if they want to keep their car on the road longer. In addition to conducting essential car maintenance every season, get auto protection today to gain peace of mind.
Every Endurance warranty comes with the most comprehensive protection package in the market with additional perks like the Endurance Elite Membership and trip interruption coverage.
Request a no-obligation quote today to find the perfect protection plan for you.