Summer is here, and avoid any sudden breakdowns by effectively preparing your car. Just like winter brings its problems for car owners, now is the time to prep your vehicle for the hot weather. In winter, you’re worried about salt and snow and sleet, but in the summer, the main worry is overheating or other warm-weather issues.
If you’ve never explicitly prepared for summer, there are a few things you can do now that will make for smoother rides all season long.
How Do I Prepare My Car for the Summer?
We asked our team of Auto Experts for tips on preparing your car for the summer heat. If you’re a current Endurance customer, the Endurance Protect app is also a great resource to refer to when prepping your vehicle.
- Wash and wax your car – Washing your vehicle to ensure all winter debris that could cause further damage is gone is a significant first step to preparing for summer. When your vehicle is sparkling, it shines on those sunny drives. Waxing will also help protect your vehicle from summertime debris like sand, birds, bugs, and other road debris. Take that extra step to keep your paint job intact.
- Check your fluids – When it’s warm out, many things can happen to your engine if it’s not properly lubricated. If you haven’t gotten your oil changed for a bit, now would be a great time. You will also want to make sure your vehicle’s radiator has enough coolant. You want the air conditioning to work for your comfort, and you also want to avoid the potential for overheating.
- Make sure wiper blades are intact – Summer storms can crop up suddenly. You don’t want to be stuck on the road without a clear vision. A broken wiper blade in a massive storm can make it very hard to see and drive safely. This is an easy fix that you can have done at any chain store or do it yourself with minimal effort.
- Battery check – Auto repair shops and supply stores will happily check the battery charge levels and charge them for free. They’ll also be able to tell you if the battery is holding a charge. When batteries age, they start losing their ability to hold a charge. Spending money on a new battery if this is the case will prevent a breakdown later.
- Evaluate your tires – When weather changes, it can affect the air pressure in your tires. Make sure your tires are filled correctly, and not worn. You may want to rotate or replace any that are worn before taking off on a summer road trip.
- Cleaning or detailing – After the rough winter months, you may want to make sure all winter debris is removed from your car, inside and out. Debris left unchecked can cause rust or other problems, and it’s useful to detail your vehicle to get any remnants out once and for all.
- Replenish supplies – Every driver should have a first-aid kit in their car and any paperwork they may need in the glove compartment. You should also ensure you have any other supplies you might need depending on where you live. If you’re in a more rural area, keep extra coolant if you need it. Other items you may want to stock up on include extra oil, cleaning supplies, and bottled water.
- Sun protection – If you park outdoors often or anticipate doing so, investing in a sun shield can help. It prevents the inside from getting roasting hot from direct sunlight and will help you avoid that stifled feeling when you get back into your car on a hot day.
You can enjoy your summer road trip with peace of mind by prepping your car for the road. Even better, using the seasons as a maintenance guide can help keep you on track. If you have a warranty, this is especially important. Not performing maintenance outlined in the owner’s manual can sometimes invalidate your auto protection, and you might find yourself paying out of pocket for repairs that could have been covered.
How Endurance Warranty Can Help
Performing car maintenance every season can keep your car on the road longer. With an Endurance protection plan, you gain peace of mind knowing we’re with you every step of the way. Not only do we pay the mechanic directly for both parts and labor – you also gain 1-year access to the Endurance Elite Membership for FREE.
The Elite Membership comes with $250 digital shopping dollars, key fob replacement, the Endurance Protect app, and much more. If you’re unsure about when to perform maintenance for your car, the Endurance Protect app has your car’s maintenance info for easy access.
Call us now to learn about our current relief program and flexible payment options.